Thursday, October 30, 2008



The following takes place from 11:00 am to 12:00 pm

I had to check out of the hotel room. I am still waiting at the hotel for the group I am meeting up with. There was a tv in the room I was waiting and this show called the DRs corner






What I learned from the show the Drs...


Is sushi safe?

How safe is the sushi you eat? A common concern with any fish is that it may contain mercury, a known neurotoxin, which harms neural (brain) tissue. Dr. Lisa warns that pregnant women should be especially careful of contaminated fish because it puts the brain and nervous system development of the fetus at risk. Gastroenterologist Dr. Jeffrey Sherman from Cedars-Sinai Medical Center dishes on whether sushi makes for a healthy meal or a raw deal.


A raw deal

Dr. Sherman explains that raw fish often contain parasites that will burrow into the small bowel and cause severe abdominal pain, cramping, nausea and vomiting. Although the reaction is not life-threatening and will only last two to four days, some patients will experience months of irritable bowels as a result of the experience.

Parasites are killed when fish is stored at 10 degrees Fahrenheit for five days, but not all restaurants adhere to those regulations. Is it worth the risk? Dr. Travis chides, “I’ve eaten sushi, my friends have eaten sushi … I don’t really have to worry about it, do I?”

Dr. Sherman counters, “Well, you’re gambling with your own body. I personally don’t eat sushi, knowing what I’ve seen in my patients!” (http://www.thedoctorstv.com/main/show_synopsis/67?section=synopsis)

Should I try it now?

Going to sit here and wait for the group.

Howden Matt Howden

1 comment:

ELiZaBeTH said...

I like this one!! Finally something I understand...lol